Review of Dropcam pro as baby monitor 2017
DropCam is one of the new companies which came into the market of surveillance/spy cameras and doing extremely well. Very recently, this well planned start up got acquired by Nest. So DropCam is now basically a product of nest and you know that you get the best from nest. This is a surveillance camera, which can also be used as a baby monitoring device. This is an internet baby monitor and your parent unit will be your Phone/Tablet or computer.
Let’s get little bit deep in to the subject. Usually baby monitors comes with a baby monitoring camera and a parent unit to view. But this is an internet baby monitor which connects through wifi internet and can be viewed from the app which is installed in your phone/PC or tablet. This works with both Android and iOS. The app is free, and you are only paying for the camera. Let’s go through some important features of this cam.
- Stunning Video Quality
- Image sensor provide 2x sharper video
- 60 Second Setup
- Connect to Wi-Fi via computer or iOS mobile device or Android
- 130 degrees diagonal view
- Zoom up to 8x and Night Vision
- Stay Connected with Two-Way Talk
- Intelligent Alerts
- Scheduling and Mobile & Web apps.
- Cloud Video Recording (CVR) – (need to pay $299 per year)
- Dual-band Wi-Fi – Dropcam Pro supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks
There are some requirements you need to use this camera. Most importantly you need to have a very strong internet connection. Some other requirements are:
- High Speed Internet: DSL, Cable, FiOS, Wifi
- Web Browser: Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 3+, Safari 3+, Chrome
- Optional Devices: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and/or Android Device
- Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n (WEP, WPA, WPA2 encryption supported)
- iOS Mobile Setup works with iPhone 4S (or later) including iPhone 5,5C, and 5S & iPad 3 or later
Let’s go to the review:
Basically this is a surveillance and spy camera made for the office/home surveillance purposes. But with the amazing features this can also be used as a baby camera. This camera has many features which are common to the baby camera. Some of them are Night vision and two way talk which could be very useful.
Also you can view from multiple devises which runs on iOS or android platforms. The app is very good and responsive unlike many other apps. This is specially good for older kids above 2 to 3 years old. You can keep a tab on them, always check and make sure they are safe and sound.
On the other side the Cos is that you can record the video/audio, but you need to purchase a cloud storage which will be around $250 per year. Also it is very important to have a strong and stable wifi internet connection to use this baby camera. If you got them all, then you are looking right!